Pickford investigated after alleged brawl outside Sunderland bar

Northumbria Police are investigating an incident involving England and Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford.

A video published on social media seems to show Pickford, 25, getting involved in an altercation with several other individuals.

A spokesperson said, “at 12:19AM (Monday), police received a report of a disturbance involving a large group of individuals on Turnstall Road, Sunderland”.

“Enquiries are ongoing to determine the circumstances surrounding the incident and locate those involved.”

Jordan Pickford playing in the World Cup in Russia Credit – Wikipedia Commons

“Nobody is believed to have been seriously injured and no arrests have been made,” they added.

This was after the goalkeeper returned to his native North East city of Sunderland to celebrate Mother’s Day with his family and fiancée after beating West Ham United 2-0 in the capital on Saturday.

Initially, it’s understood the taunting aimed at him was light-hearted rather than a malicious attack, being told he had “small arms” and “butterfingers”.

The taunting soon turned unsavoury however, as Pickford’s fiancée was also targeted.

The England international’s agent confirmed on Monday night that the player was involved in a brawl. A source close to Pickford stated; “No one wants to see that kind of thing but it wasn’t as bad as it may have looked, it was over in 10 seconds.

“He was trying to have a drink and enjoy the match, people were goading him and there was a brief flare-up”.

His club Everton also released a short statement while trying to establish the facts behind what happened. “The club has been aware of an alleged incident involving one of our players and we are looking into the matter,” mentioned a club spokesman.

As well as facing difficulties off the pitch, Pickford has faced a difficult time on the pitch this season following an impressive performance in the World Cup last summer.

Dun Cow pub, Sunderland (credit Max Colborne)

Going from prospect to stardom last season, the 25-year old has found it difficult to maintain his form he showed last summer, with former Everton manager Marco Silva suggesting he needed to show “more emotional balance” after making perceived errors in a 3-2 defeat by Sunderland rivals Newcastle United.



Other incidents involving Premier League players

Incident Outcome
Steven Gerrard was involved in a fight with business man Marcus McGee In Liverpool 2009. It’s believed that Mr. McGee ‘mithered’ Gerrard, which resulted in the former Liverpool captain to punch him in the side of the face. Gerrard, with five others, was charged with affray but his assault charged was dropped.
Former Crystal Palace midfielder Jason Puncheon was charged with assault and having a weapon. This was after a fight erupted near a nightclub in Church Street Reigate in 2017. Puncheon lashed out with his belt towards a club bouncer. Puncheon was given a community order requiring him to carry out 210 hours of unpaid work and had to pay the bouncer £250 compensation. His assault charge however was dropped after no evidence was presented by the prosecution.
Jonathan Woodgate and Lee Bower, along with four others were famously involved in a vicious attack on two Leeds University students Sarfraz and Shazad Najeib. The attack led to the former spending eight days in hospital It was a complicated trial, with the accused handing in conflicted evidence and offered no assistance to the Police during their investigations. The outcome? All defendants were acquitted of all charges.
 Former Newcastle player Nile Ranger was fined for criminal damage in which he kicked down a door whilst also hitting a woman three times in the face. He was caught on camera getting angry as his electronic fob wouldn’t grant him entry to his penthouse, before kicking the door several times to gain entry. The girl tried to calm him down before he hit her twice in the face and then punching her with his left as she fell to the floor. He was original arrested for assault but no charges we made against him as he pleaded guilty to the assault charge. However he pleaded not guilty to criminal damage as he claimed the electrics weren’t working and he was simply trying to gain access to his property. He didn’t get let off entirely however, as he was charged with a £2,000 fine for criminal damage.